Friday, August 28, 2009

Matter

This week, we learned about what a matter was. We had to sort things into groups called: matter, not a matter, and unsure. Matter has mass and takes up space. Wind is the movement of molecules so it is not a matter. We did a lab about measurement in chemistry. We had to guess the mass of several items. Then, we had to measure the actual mass of the object with a balance beam. I learned how to use the Vernier Scale on the balance beam. The Vernier Scale allowed us to measure up to the 1/100 of a gram. In the lab, we also had to predict the volume of liquids; this task was a little harder. Next, we measured the liquids using a graduated cylinder. The plastic cup's actual water capacity was not as accurate because I kept spilling water of of the cup when I was pouring it into the graduated cylinder. I learned how to calculate the percent error. Some of my predictions were very inaccurate. From reading the chemistry book, I learned about the scientific method and saw examples of how to use this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment